From pancakes early in the morning to dancing well into the evening, the 56th annual Old Timers Day has a full day of activities planned for Saturday. With the continuing theme of “All Roads Lead Home,” Old Timers Day is honoring the city of Dickson in 2014.
- The day gets started with the 38th annual Civitan Pancake Breakfast in the basement of the First United Methodist Church on Main Street. Breakfast is served 6-9 am.
- The Associated Women of Lipscomb present the first Old Timers Day Bison 5K Run and Walk starting at 7 am on Main Street in front of Fussell’s Men’s Shop. Race-day registration is $35 for adult participants and $20 for ages 16 and under. Registration is 5:45-6:30 am.
- The Old Timers Day Quilt Show is open 8 am-2 pm in the Fellowship Hall at Walnut Street Church of Christ. More than 50 quilts will be displayed in the free show.
- There will be live bluegrass and gospel music starting at 8:45 am in front of the Arcade on Main Street.
- The first Old Timers Day Art Show opens at 9 am at Events on Main. The free exhibit features a variety of pieces by several local artists.
- The annual Old Timers Day Parade starts at 10 am at Dickson County High School and makes its way through downtown to end at Dickson Middle School. A record number of more than 160 entries have signed up for the parade, which features Robert Blue, Ralph Sullivan and Richard Arnold as grand marshals. All three men served at least 30 years on the Dickson City Council.
- The first Old Timers Day Children’s Parade will feature children in period costumes marching from the Dollar General Store to the Dickson Fire Department starting at 10 am in front of the parade.
After the parade, everything moves to the festival area south of the railroad tracks in downtown.
- Registration for the Warren Medley Memorial Horseshoe Contest begins at 11 am with competition starting at noon on the south lawn of the War Memorial Building.
- The Old Timers Day Gospel Celebration starts at 11 am on the front porch of the Dickson Municipal Building. The schedule includes performances by several area choirs and groups, including the Dynamic Dixie Travelers, Christopher Crenshaw, First Baptist Church and Nathan Pulley Jr., among others, as well as a performance by Miss Amy’s School of the Arts and a ladies’ hats fashion display.
- Registration for the multi-generation baking contest starts at 11:30 in the Children’s Activity Area in the parking lot next to the Front Porch on Center Avenue with judging at noon. Other activities include pony and train rides, greased pig contest, greased pole contest, sack races, chalk art and balloon artist.
- The Humphreys County Antique Tractor and Engine Association will have several tractors as well as farm equipment and a shingle-maker producing commemorative shingles on Center Avenue.
- Classic cars will be displayed in the parking lot of the War Memorial Building.
- There will be live music in several areas of the festival grounds as well as inside the Clement Railroad Hotel Museum throughout the day.
- Holland Park will be filled with living history demonstrations that include blacksmithing, wool spinning and a Civil War encampment that will include firing a cannon at 12:00, 2:00 and 4:00.
- Inside the Clement Railroad Hotel Museum will be a special photography exhibit featuring images of past Old Timers Day celebrations from McCreary Studio and a special tribute to Warren Medley, one of the founders of Old Timers Day who passed away in March.
- The annual Ms. Old Timers Pageant will begin at noon in the War Memorial Building.
- Vance Smith’s Grand Old Hatchery will have an open mic 12-2 pm.
- Candidates for office will get the chance to give brief speeches on the political stump in front of Holland Park throughout the day.
- Various food vendors, crafts, candidates and local organizations will have booths on South Main Street, Center Avenue, Walnut Street and Frank G. Clement Place during the day.
- The annual Old Timers Day Liars Contest will be at 2 pm at Vance Smith’s Grand Old Hatchery on South Main Street.
- The annual Robert Spicer Memorial Dance Contest begins at 2 pm in the War Memorial Building.
For a full schedule of activities and festival maps, visit dicksoncountyoldtimersday.com or pick up a souvenir Old Timers Day program available at several area businesses.