City deals with flooding, rescues, and structure fire during storm

A cell of strong thunderstorms passes through the City of Dickson Wednesday night dumped unto seven inches of rain in some areas and caused numerous flooding issues that closed roads and prompted rescues.

“Our employees from various departments of the city responded to dozen of calls during the height of the storm and continue to deal with the issues left behind Thursday,” said Dickson Mayor Don Weiss Jr. “With the volume of rain that fell in such a short time, there is very little we can do to prevent some flooding, as evidenced by the problems experienced by cities across Middle Tennessee.”

Areas of Dickson County reported rainfall amounts from 5.5 to 7 inches in less that two hours and the southwestern part of the county was under a tornado warning briefly after radars indicated possible rotation in the winds in excess of 50 miles per hour.

In addition to responding too water rescues, the Dickson Fire Department battled a fire at an office in west Dickson.

Fire Chief Richard Greer reports the department was responding to a water rescue on Eno Road around 10:50 pm when it it received a call about two people trapped in a car at the intersection of A.G. Myatt Drive and Highway 48 North. The water rescue team diverted to the call within the city limits and two people were removed from a car by boat.

While on the scene of that reduce, the department was notified that a building in the Hidden Valley Apartments on Spring Street was flooding again and the fire department crew and water rescue team assisted in clearing the units. The Dickson County Family YMCA opened as a shelter from the displaced residents.

As crews were heading back to Eno road, there was another dispatch to a structure fire at the Youth Villages office at 2043 Highway 70 West. Believed to have been caused by a lightning strike, the structure in the Valley West complex has flames coming form the roof when firefighters arrived.  The blaze was extinguished but the fire left extensive damage including a partial collapse of the roof.

Dickson Fire Department crews were put on standby for other water rescues outside the city but were not dispatched. Franklin Fire Department and Williamson County water rescue teams were on standby to assist in Dickson County.

Dickson Police Department responded to numerous call about flooded roadways, stranded motorists and employees trapped in businesses by rising waters.

Multiple crews from the city’s Public Works Department worked throughout the night closing flooded roads and continued into Thursday trying to clear storm drains and culverts.In the aftermath of the storm, more than 30 reports of flooding damage had been called into the Public Works Department Thursday morning.

Weiss expressed his appreciation to city employees as well as workers from Dickson Electric System, Water Authority of Dickson County, the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Dickson County Emergency Medical Service, Dickson County Emergency Management Agency, Dickson County Fire and Rescue, various volunteer fire departments and other agencies for their efforts through the night to protect the citizens of Dickson.